Climate Data Sets

I'm working at the University of Chicago on various aspects of Climate
change, and am somewhat bewildered by the quasi-mystical nature of the
available data sets.  By this I mean that I know that there are various data
sets available, many of them on cd-rom, containing a wide spectrum of data
types, in several different storage formats.  I would be interested in
finding out which climate data sets other people in the field are using,
including what type of data are stored on them, whether they contain gridded
data or only data accessible station by station, and whatever other
information or feelings you have.  The temporal and spatial resolution would
begood things to know too.  Thanks in advance.

                                Matthew Huber