converting CDF files to netCDF

There is a utility called CDFlist which will allow you to subset any portion
of any CDF (e.g., on the GEDEX CD-ROM) by dimension (i.e., hyperslab), by
value (for one or more variable), by record (i.e., equivalent to unlimited
dimension) and by variable selection.

The results may be placed into an ASCII file or another CDF.  For Unix machines
this utility and others requires a VT100 screen (i.e., xterm).  The CDF
distribution includes the library and these utilities and is available on
anonymous ftp from ncgl.gsfc.nasa.gov.  Supported platforms include SunOS,
Ultrix, VMS, IRIX, AIX (i.e., that's what I typically use), HP-UX, DOS.  I
think MacOS and Unicos are in progress, but check the anon ftp.  However,
the CDFlist and other utilities should be on your GEDEX disk already built for
several operating systems with some other tools for interfacing to the disk
(DOS, HP-UX, IRIX, SunOS and VMS).  They are on my copy...

Therefore, creating a custom ASCII file for conversion is simple and you have
the tools.  Creating a CDF to netCDF converter and back is certainly doable
and straightforward as long as one sticks to the subset of data types that are
supported in both systems.  Compensating for the differences is also possible
but would require a more complex implementation.

Lloyd Treinish