Underlying data format for netCDF

I am doing some research on data formats and I would like to know
if there are any documents on the underlying data structures of
netCDF. I know they are hidden from the users on purpose to
allow for changes or extensions in the future, but I would
still like to know how the data is structured at a low level. Are
there any documents you could point me to? I have already downloaded
and read the netCDF User's Guide.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne Brown                                  email : wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Assistant Professor                          Phone : 501-450-5674
Mathematics and Computer Science Department
University of Central Arkansas BOX 4912
201 Donaghey Ave.
Conway, AR 72035-0001