Re: what's the defintion of 'small'?

Thanks for the answers lots of people sent me.  However, I am still not
sure I got the answer.

I know that '-2' and '254' are just the signed and unsigned respresentation
of the same value. This might be just the 'bug'(?) in xdrtest. I would like
to know that ncdump does not have the same 'bug'. XDR passes the
binary test that means the data value will not change over different
platform because of the byte-order. However, Could the same '0xfe' shows
as '-2' in SUN but '254' in SGI when using the ncdump?

One more question, what's the reason that we need to unset TMPDIR on SGI
but not other platform?
When I set the environment TMPDIR, ftest fails with following messages:
        ncendef: rename failed: Cross-device link
        *** Termination code 139

I assume it has something to do with rename() system call which can not
rename file to different file system. However, checking the man page on
SUN and Ultrix shows the same restriction on the rename() call.

As for hdf-netcdf package, after I delete the testing on fortran subdirectory,
The package passes all other tests. The termination code is also 139 when
the ftest is run. However, there is no message about 'rename failed ...'
I think this problem might be related with the above TMPDIR problem although
this fails no matter whether TMPDIR is defined or not.
I suspect that has something to do with ncendef.

The termination code 139 should correspond to system error code 11 for SGI
which is:(except from 'man 2 intro')

     11  EAGAIN  Resource temporarily unavailable
          1) A fork or sproc failed because the maximum number of processes
          system wide {NPROC} was exceeded or the user exceeded their limit on
          the number of child processes {CHILD_MAX}.  2) A system call failed
          because of insufficient memory or swap space.  Later calls to the
          same routine may complete normally.  3) Some read system calls--
          involving empty streams or locked files/records--with the O_NDELAY
          flag set may return this error.  See read(2).

Hope this help someone in UCAR/NCSA to sort out the problem.
Although netcdf does not seem to use structure/map on fortran code, SGI's
Fortran compiler has problem dealing with those on 4.0 and 4.0.1. At least
4.0.5 fix that problem.
Since netcdf package use 'assert', I think you might want to know that
using gcc compiler on SGI will have problem setting the exit code.

-Frank Chen