RE: Conventions...

I don't have more than a few minutes to comment.

I want to say that all the major analytical instrument vendors of
chromatography and mass spectrometry instruments have adopted netCDF
as the global standard for interchange among data systems, using their
own standard "conventions" for data element (netCDF variable) naming.
We are starting to apply it to many other analytical techniques now.
It works very well for our datasets.

In the absence of a public domain standard that can be configured to
support end user domain data models, using conventions it the best we can
hope for to achieve some level of semantic interoperability.

The analytical instrument vendors are quite pleased with conventions for
CDL templates.  They use these to generate empty files and then use the
netCDF libraries to fill in the datasets.   It works well for us.

I wish we had a mechanism beyond conventions for grouping multiple
netCDF file objects into more complex objects that could be mailed/copied
around the network (a directory type structure would be fine for now).
Tarring files together doesn't let you access what's in the files easily.
Does anyone have a better approach now?

That's all for now.

Rich Lysakowski
Analytical Data Interchange and Storage Standards
(ADISS) Project Director