netCDF Utilities

Are there any utilities available besides ncgen & ncdump?

I am planning to develop utilities to do things like:
Putting data (from say stdin) into specified file/array
Copying data from one specified file/array to another
Arithmetic
Interpolation
Graphing
Contouring

There is a need to be able to specify subscripts in a flexible way.
The hyperslab concept is too narrow to extract data for say months 12, 1 & 2.
It should be possible to specify subscript values via their corresponding
coordinate variables. For example 'lat=~60' might mean the latitude subscript
j giving lat(j) closest to 60.

I hope this gives some idea of the sort of thing I have in mind.
I would appreciate any information about such utilities, whether working,
in development or just planned. Also sources of ideas (about other
packages, or more general concepts) would be useful.

Harvey Davies                   CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Research,
Email: hld@xxxxxxxxxxxx         Private Bag No. 1, Mordialloc,
Phone: (03)5867574              Victoria 3195,  Australia