Appending to netCDF (Prologue)

In my earlier message I wrote:

>I would like to add data to a netCDF file one record at a time. The reason
>is I have data files containing many Megabytes of data records. Storing the
>data in an array before writing into a netCDF file is not feasible. Is there
>a simple way to do this ? I read in the User's Guide that only one variable
>can have unlimited dimension. In this case I am forced to find out the number
>of records in order to set the dimensions of the data. This is also very
>cumbersome. Is there a way around this ? I know netCDF data is meant to be
>appendable (-->FAQ) and I have looked in the Users' Guide but there is no
>mention of "append" in the index. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I am sorry for any confusion. I should have stated the problem clearly.
I have data along an orbit, ie Time, X, Y, Z, and I wished to append
data as I get it. I received a lot of RTFM replies, but fortunately a
very comprehensive reply from Dr Carlie Coats at NCSC who somehow managed
to understand what I needed. Many thanks to all who responded. My apologese
for wasting your time, and bandwidth.

        best regards
| Mail          Dr Ata Etemadi, Blackett Laboratory,                          |
|               Space and Atmospheric Physics Group,                          |
|               Imperial College of Science, Technology, and Medicine,        |
|               Prince Consort Road, London SW7 2BZ, ENGLAND                  |
| Internet/Arpanet/Earn/Bitnet atae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ata@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  |
| Span                              SPVA::atae       or     MSSLC:atae        |
| UUCP/Usenet                       atae%spva.ph.ic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        |