ISO Standard for date/time

From: 24-Mar-1993 2109 <lysakowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 93 18:26:59 -0800
Cc: lysakowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ISO Standard for date/time

Why don't you just use the ISO standard for date/time stamps?

These are:

ISO Standard 2014-1976 (E) "Writing of Calendar Dates in All-Numeric Form".

ISO Standard 3307-1975 (E) "Information Interchange - Representations of
Time of the Day".

ISO Standard 4031-1978 (E) Information Interchange - Representations of
Local Time Differentials".

What these translate into are:

YYYYMMDDhhmmss.+/-ffff

For example "19910801123023-0500" is 12:30 P.M. on August 1, 1991 in New
York City.   Note that -0500 is 5 full hours behind Greenwich Mean Time.

The ISO standards permit the use of separators, if they are required to
facilitate human understanding.

For example:  1991,08,01,12:30:23-0500.

ISO may have revised it recently to take fractions of seconds into
account.  What they've done for UDUNITS looks pretty close to ISO, but it
doesn't comply with the international standard.  For something as universal
as date/time stamp this compliance is pretty important.  Anyone know why
the ISO standard wasn't used?

Rich