Re: NetCDF on a Mac

Ken Bowman writes:

> On the subject of netCDF on the Mac:
>
> Research Systems Inc. (RSI) is planning to release a Mac version of IDL
> (Interactive Data Language) in the near future.  The current version of IDL
> for Unix workstations (I'm not sure about the VMS version) has a very nice
> netCDF interface built in (as well as HDF and CDF).  If you haven't tried
> it, I highly recommend it.  The Mac version of IDL will not contain the
> netCDF interface, because the Mac is not officially supported by UNIDATA.
> So how about it, can UNIDATA adopt someone's Mac port and make it official?

No one has yet donated a Mac port of the current version of netCDF.  We're
not supposed to expend significant resources on porting software to
platforms that are not authorized by our policy-setting group.  We would
also have to have a Mac development environment and more Mac system
expertise to complete the port here.

If someone were to donate a Mac port, we would make it available via
anonymous FTP as we have made available a Mac port of the previous major
version (netCDF 2.02, in pub/netcdf/mac/netcdf-2.02.tar.Z on
ftp.unidata.ucar.edu).  Since the file format has not changed between the
last major version and the current version, the 2.02 library for the Mac can
still be used to access data in files created by the current version.

Russ Rew                                        Unidata Program Center
russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                           UCAR, PO Box 3000
                                                Boulder, CO 80307-3000