Time and sigma coordinates

Thanks to everybody who responded to an earlier question about time.  What
we've done is define an attribute time_format of the time variable containing a
string giving the format.

Now, I have another question.  Does anybody do what they tell me are called
"sigma coordinates" in netCDF, and if so, how?  These are coordinates that are
just like rectilinear coordinates, except that the top of the grid is at a
fixed level above sea level and the bottom follows the terrain.  The levels
between the flat top and the deformed bottom are deformed gradually so that for
every x and y, the z values are evenly spaced.  As you go up, the levels get
progressively less and less deformed until they hit the top.

Eric Pepke                                     INTERNET: pepke@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute  MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                       SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                     BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.