NetCdf access

Our group is working on scientific image processing software
and during the research stage we investigate possibility
 to use netCDF format.
  We have got copy of netCDF software from  unidata.ucar.edu
  It seems from netCDF documents that if I need to access
  netCDF data I must have mounted directory with netCDF file
  on may local machine or some way load a copy of netCDF file
  to  local host. Are we correct in this supposition? Is it
  possible get data on remote host in XDR format transfer
  it to a local host and decode data here in local host format.
  If it is true may be you could advice us the peoples who
  solve this problem some  way?

                  Best regards Vitaly Promislov.
                  ASL project software manager.
                  ASTRO SPOCAE CENTER.