XDR on an Alpha

Hello,
I'm using NetCDF in a mixed Vax-Alpha cluster. I've managed to make everything
work the intended way, except for floating point numbers.
The /xdr/xdrfloat.c file defines special sgl_limits structures for the vax.
These structures are defined bye two more structures which are defined in terms
of bit fields. The alpha "C" compiler (and the "CXX" compiler as well) don't
like the initializatio of these bit fields.
Does anyone know how to make the XDR floats work on an alpha machine ??

Thanks,
                Valerio