storing vertical data

  • Subject: storing vertical data
  • From: dvt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Daniel Teyf)
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 21:31:20 +0000
I am designing a vertical profile archive database and have a few
questions/concerns reguarding
its efficiency and implementation.  My unlimited dimension is the profile
number, but the
number of altitude readings vary from profile to profile by a large margin.

What is the optimal, space-saving, way of storing vertical data with a variable
number of
altitudes, when the altitude is not the unlimited variable.  Assigning a
standard number of
altitude increments will waste space.

ALso, does anyone have an idea of what is an efficient file size for searches?
If I
break the archive into smaller files will it speed up the file access, or will
it be an
unnecessary action?

Thanks,

Daniel Teyf