Compiling netCDF under Linux

I am currently trying to compile the netCDF library on my Pentium machine
running Linux.  I successfully compiled it on a 486 under Linux, but that is
not available at the moment.

During the compiling, everything works fine until it gets to compiling ncgen.
At the final part, where it is linking all of the objects together to form
the executable, I get an error saying that there is an undefined symbol
"STREQ" in the object code.  I found that the STREQ is defined in the
lexx file ncgen.l, but I am not familiar enough with lexx to know why this
define is not being carried through to the C-code.  Any suggestions.

--
  Gordon Miller                        Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    |
  SFA, Inc                                "Lobt Gott!"          --+--

   "There are no physicists in the hottest parts of hell, because the
    existence of a "hottest part" implies a temperature difference,
    and any marginally competent physicist would immediately use this
    to run a heat engine and make some other part of hell comfortably
    cool. "

   "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.  But I have promises to keep,
    And lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."
                                    - Eric Youngdale & Robert Frost