NETCDF storage of hydrology data archive

Has anyone set up a netcdf-based archive for oceanographic hydrology
data.

At present, we have a rudimentary system, based on flat ascii files, which
we are planning to upgrade. If suitable software and data formats already
exist, it would save having to re-invent the wheel.

we currently store station & vessel id, position etc plus the physical
properties & chem analyses etc for one or more water samples per station.
The data is indexed with multiple keys:

key 1: vessel, year, cruise, staion number
key 2: year, month
key 3: position

Thanks
Bob Beattie