Re: Web FORMS interface to netCDF data?

Barbara W. Mihalas writes:
> I will take this note to the Mosaic conference in Chicago in Oct and
> discuss it with some appropriate people.  If you want to elaborate on your
> needs and send me a little (not too much) more description, that would be
> ok too.  I will have to do this just in the spirit of offering a useful
> possible development direction, but I think your point is well taken and
> would benefit a large community of users.
>
>   --Barbara Mihalas
> Dr. Barbara Weibel Mihalas, Program Director
> Networking Infrastructure for Education, EHR & CISE
> National Science Foundation
> Stafford Building Suite 855,
> 4201 Wilson Blvd,
> Arlington, VA 22230
> Phone: (703) 306-1655 X 5875   Fax: (703) 306-0434
> Email:  bmihalas@xxxxxxx

Well, I don't have too much more to add,  but the need I have is that
we have large (100-600 Mb) files containing output from an ocean
circulation model in netCDF format.  Wouldn't it be great if people
interested in this data could just use a WWW FORMS interface to
select just a piece to download like, say, the sea surface temperature
from July 19?

This is the way I envision it:  when your browser sees a netCDF file
(or HDF file) you get a HTML page with basic information like number
of variable, global attributes, etc.  Then you would use a form to
select the variable(s) of interest, extract hyperslabs, choose the
type of output (netCDF, HDF, ASCII, etc.), and "submit."  You are returned
the apppropriate data, which you simple view (if ASCII) or download
if netCDF.

--
Rich Signell               |  rsignell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
U.S. Geological Survey     |  (508) 457-2229  |  FAX (508) 457-2310