ncopen:not a NetCDF file

I am trying to transfer NetCDF data files from an IRIS machine
running IRIX, a version of UNIX, to a machine running MSDOS 6
and Windows for Workgroups 3.11. On the IRIS, the 'ncdump'
program correctly recognizes the files as NetCDF files, but
on the IBM-compatible, the MSDOS-compiled NCDUMP.EXE program
refuses to recognize the NetCDF files, and produces the
message:        'ncopen:not a NetCDF file'.

I transfer the data files from the IRIS to the DOS machine
via FTP or via network drive (using File Manager in Windows
for Workgroups 3.11). I have been using a Macintosh to connect
to the IRIS, and an alternative method I used to transfer the
files is to use FTP from my IRIS prompt to the Macintosh
desktop, and then click-dragging the file icon to an MSDOS-
formatted floppy disk in the usual Macintosh manner.
This 2nd method also does not seem to work, and before
anyone jumps the gun and recommends that I use binary mode,
yes I do know that that is the correct mode.

I would appreciate any help on this problem, as I am currently
resorting to FTPing the text dumps of the binary data files,
and using NCGEN at the MSDOS end (which does work, luckily!).
This is highly unsatisfactory, as the binary files can get up
to about 10-->20Mb in size, which is expensive FTP transfers!
        Regards, Victor Essers and Des Mills.