950105: Once more: Two questions about NetCDF

>Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 13:37:45 +0100
>From: Gerhard Eckel <Gerhard.Eckel@xxxxxxxx>
>To: netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Once more: Two questions about NetCDF

Hello,

In the above message you wrote:

1)  For our applications we would need to read and write netCDF file
    from stdin and to stdout. Since netCDF routines may do seeks, this will
    probably cause problems.  Anyway, at the moment there is no way to open
    a netCDF file via stdin because the file has to have a name.

You might consider some library functions within the freely-available
NCOPERS package.  There is a library function (ncinput) which will open
a netCDF file for reading only.  If the pathname of the file specifies
standard input, then the contents are copied into a temporary file,
which is removed when the program exits.  There is a similar function
(ncrename) for output.

The NCOPERS package is available via the following:

    FTP:        host ftp.unidata.ucar.edu, directory pub/ncopers

--------
Steve Emmerson   <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>