c++ support: will it be in form of a library?

> 01/30 Russ Rew -- Re: c++ support for g++ compiler?
> A patch is available for the netcdf-232p12 distribution that includes
> changes needed to make it work with the GNU g++ compiler.

Will the new C++ support be in the form of a library to be compiled
once and then linked with various user programs?  The present system,
with a couple of C++ files to be compiled into .o files and then
linked with the user program, is somewhat inconvenient.  There would
be a real advantage in writing e.g.
        g++ -o myprog myprog.c -lnetcdf -lnetcdf-c++ -lm
in a Makefile.  Plus, unix has a simple system for dealing with
libSOMETHING.a files (e.g. directories where they are stored), whereas
there is no well-known system for individual .o files to be linked
with projects.

I tried to hack the Makefile but didn't get very far, probably because
I'm not a programmer.  If the creation of a library would take only a
few minutes of a programmer's time, it would be *well* worth it, since
it would encourage folks like me to switch to the apparently elegant
C++ method of handling netcdf.

Dan.

Dan E. Kelley                   internet:                Dan.Kelley@xxxxxx
Oceanography Department         phone:                       (902)494-1694
Dalhousie University            fax:                         (902)494-2885
Halifax, NS, CANADA, B3H 4J1    WWW:  http://www.phys.ocean.dal.ca/~kelley