Why does Fortran NCVPT not act as it should?

I hope this is a case of my being relentlessly dense rather than what I consid-
er to be unexpected behavior from NCVPT and/or the concept of hyperslabs.

Suppose I have array X(10,10,10), the element going from 1 to 1000 in the stan-
dard Fortran order, and I want to write out the first 5x5x5 "subcube" of X.

So, I set start (dimension 3) to (1,1,1) and count (dim 3) to (5,5,5), and then
call NCVPT as follows:

call ncvpt(ncid,varid,start,count,X,rcode)

*But*, when I do an 'ncdump', the list of X contains the first 125 elements,
(ie, 5x5x5 elements), numbering from 1 to 125, not what I would expect, namely,
1-5, then 11-15, then 21-25, and so on.

Am I missing something here?
--
Gary Strand                  WWW: http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cscor/gary/gary.html