DEC Alpha woes

Hello to any fellow DEC users,

I'm trying to convert some flat binary files to NetCDF.  The data seem
to conform to XDR floating point representation.  Unfortunately, I am
working on a DEC Alpha.  The converter is written in C, but there seem
to be no compiler options for reading other-endian data.  We have XDR
routines, but no examples of how to use them.  My last resort is to
call a FORTRAN subroutine to read the data.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thank-you

   William Weibel                           weibel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   UCLA Department of Atmospheric Sciences  Tel. (310)206-4441       \\\\/
   Los Angeles, CA  90095-1565              Fax  (310)206-5219        O-O
   U.S.A.                                                              |
                                                                      ---
   'Why,' said the Dodo, 'the best way to explain it is to do it.'
                                Alice's Adventures in Wonderland