950718: structures

>From caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Tue Jul 18 03:49:58 1995
>To: netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 09:49:58 -0600 (MDT)

> >From Roy_Mendelssohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Mon Jul 17 03:55:17 1995
>
> 2) Is there any way to create an array of structures, so that at each
> lat,lon,depth,time instead of pointing to a number, I point to a structure?

I know that structures (and arrays of structures) can be handled quite
nicely by XDR, and thus by C programs.  My understanding is that Fortran
90 now has structures (user derived types). Does anyone know if these can
be filled through the XDR mechanism? If so, netcdf could be extended to include
structures, if you were willing to accept Fortran-90 only features. Perhaps
something could be kludged to F77 if you had to. I certainly think its worth
doing (structures I mean, not kludges :^).