Problems reading from a netCDF file

Hello !!!

I wrote a program which can read a netCDF file. Everything seems to
be fine. But I have problem with a variable of type:
NC_CHAR, dimension length 1

It contains only one character. I try to read the value with:

ncvarget(cdfid, varid, start, count, value)

The Id's are absolutely correct.
start and count are declared as: static long start[MAX_NC_DIMS]
The values of these variables are:
start = {0,0,0,....
count = {1,0,0,....

The variable value is of type void *.

I think everything is alright. But I can't get the right value. The value
must be just 'M'. And I got mostly 'M' and some random character like \003 or
so.

Can somebody help me ???

Thanks in advance.

Tim

"All of my life - in a world so unfair", Genesis' 92
"If it's gonna get better, it starts with a feeling', Genesis' 83
Tim Weilkiens, Kiel, Germany
email: Tim.Weilkiens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
         tim-w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx