Re: netCDF and XDR

 >"Tim" == Tim Weilkiens <Tim.Weilkiens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 > Hello !!!
 > I wrote a network server which use the netCDF library.
 > Compiling the source files I get a conflict:

 > I include the RPC header file and the netCDF library
 > contains the XDR functionality. So I get some multi declaration
 > errors.

 > My solution is a little hack: I removed the xdr.o file from the
 > libnetcdf.a file. Now everything seems to be fine. But I do not
 > know if there are some hidden side effects.

NetCDF includes patches for (potential) problems in the XDR library, so you
want to be sure not to remove those.

Also, I wrote a similar thing a while back (I used RPC to build a NetCDF
server and re-wrote the NetCDF library as a set of RPC wrappers). You could
re-link any NetCDF program with my wrappers and just read data from the
server. It was OK, but...

(Shameless plug follows)

You should take a look at DODS
(http://dods.gso.uri.edu/DODS/home/home.html). That is the successor to the
RPC system. It works with the WWW, does not require users install server
software (only CGI stuff), handles more than just NetCDF (JGOFS for now, HDF
soon) and will be able to translate between APIs in the near future (March -
June 1996).

(end shamelessness)

James

James Gallagher                  The Distributed Oceanographic Data System
jgallagher@xxxxxxxxxxx                            http://dods.gso.uri.edu/