Re: limits of netCDF library

Peter Halvorson writes:

[stuff deleted]

> As my program iterates along, it will write all the 0d, 1d, and 2d data
> at each step, but only writes the large 3 dimensional arrays at selected
> steps (to conserve disk space). ...

I do this by using several output files. An example fragment
of my hydrodynamic model parameter file looks like this:

    # Output files

    OutputFiles 2

    file0.name out/out125_eta.nc
    file0.tstart 1461 days
    file0.tinc 2 hours
    file0.tstop 1642 days
    file0.bytespervalue 8
    file0.vars eta wind_x wind_y

    file1.name out/out125_all.nc
    file1.tstart 1461 days
    file1.tinc 10 days
    file1.tstop 1642 days
    file1.bytespervalue 8
    file1.vars ALL            # This means all the model variables

The model reads this specification and produces output files accordingly.
I usually store the small (0, 1 and 2-d) variables in a file being written
often, and the small and large (3-d) variables in a file written less often.
This means the small variables occasionally get written twice
(they are in both files), but I find that having them in the same file as
the 3-d variables often tends to make later analysis and plotting easier.
It's not a particularly elegant solution, but I find it quite workable.

Stephen Walker                        Email:    walker@xxxxxxxxxxx
CSIRO Division of Oceanography          Fax: +61 02 325123 (International)
GPO Box 1538, Hobart                  Phone:    002 325298 (in Australia)
Tasmania, AUSTRALIA                        : +61 02 325298 (International)