Re: limits of netCDF library <199605030513.AA21435@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Russ,

In the above message you wrote:

> Besides, how would complex values be used for the really important
> problems, like representing time :-) ?

Steven Hawking has the answer to this one.  He postulates imaginary time
near the big-bang and avoids singularity and causality problems.

;-)

--------
Steve Emmerson   <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,
I'm a fortran netcdf new user, and I neeed some help.

Since i fortran (not using the non-standard malloc) you have to
define the arrays at compile time, I' m used to do it using
dimension bigger than the maximum expected.

For istance:
                real mat(100,100,100)

for beeing ready to have space for any array up to this dimension

Let now assume my real data is a 5*6*7 array (that is I used only
part of tha available space) filled in this way:

                do i=1,5
                   do j=1,6
                      do k=1,7
                         mat(i,j,k)=......
                      enddo
                   enddo
                enddo

How do i vrite this (5*6*7) variable in a netcdf file?
I suppose using NCVPT or NCVPTG but I have not been able to do it.

In another program I
need to read the (5*6*7) data in a bigger array ready to contain
any-sized data.
Here again I suppose I need to use NCVGT or NCVGTG but I did'nt
find out the way.

Please don't tell me to read the manual becouse I've already done it
but it is to difficult for me to find out the way to use
the arrays STRIDE and IMAP described there.

Thank a lot from Italy

Emanuele Lombardi
mail:   ENEA AMB-CLIM-NUM
        I-00060 S.M. di Galeria (RM) ITALY