Re: NetCDF Java interface?

Tom Glaess asks:

> Does anyone know if Unidata is working on a Java interface to NetCDF?

We're planning a Java interface for netCDF, but we haven't done any
significant work on it yet.  The initial Java interface may be read-only.
This would still permit writing netCDF browsers and visualization tools
in Java.

Java has (or will shortly have along with the Remote Method Invocation API)
an Object Serialization Interface that permits objects to be written to and
read from streams.  Object serialization is analogous to XDR, in that it
allows programs to convert an object into a portable stream of bytes that
can later be used to build an equivalent object.

Java object serialization alone doesn't provide netCDF's ability to access
small subsets of large datasets efficiently using direct access I/O, but
Java has a RandomAccessFile class that can be used to implement such a
capability.

I'm interested in hearing about other efforts to provide Java interfaces to
netCDF data or array-oriented data visualization tools in Java.

--Russ

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu