Re: NetCDF Java interface?

> I should stress that we are just talking about this now and don't have any
> concrete plans. However, I'd be very interested in hearing what people think
> of the idea of Java interfaces to data - how valuable would those interfaces
> be to researchers? Suppose that an analysis program like Ferret or IDL
> could be used to read the same dataset - would the Java browsers still
> be useful?
>
> --
>
> James Gallagher                        The Distributed Oceanographic Data
> System
> jgallagher@xxxxxxxxxxx                        http://dods.gso.uri.edu/DODS

Hi.  I no longer have the opportunity to work with NetCDF data; however,
I am still getting mail from the mail list - it is interesting.

As for Java viewers, I have worked with Java some and can say that it is
probably inappropriate for large numbers of data points displayed in a 2D
surface or 3D projection environment.  In that case, it is probably best
to register the ".nc" extension as a MIME data type with the server and
browser so that selecting a netcdf file pipes the data directly into a
viewer- I am sure several people have already done this.  However, Java
would be perfectly appropriate for the ncdump utility and this may be
interesting.  Also, if you have data streaming into a netcdf file in
real time then a Java interface would be appropriate for viewing updates
on certain properties of the dataset.

Happy coding to all you netcdf guys.  - Dave

Dave Duling,         | p(x)~1/(a*b); x=finding object in garage
(sasdhd@xxxxxxxxxxx) |      a=need for object, b=cost of object