Problems with Strings

Hi,

I have sent the following message a few days ago to this list:

My netCDF file structure:

..
dim2 = 2;
dim30 = 30;
..
char name(dim2, dim30);
..

I read the data with:

long start[MAX_DIMS] = {0, 0};
long count[MAX_DIMS] = {2, 30};
ncvarget(cdfid, start, count, &value);

After this operation value contains the data in this way:
<string1><string2>, e.g. JohnPaul

So, how can I know which part is the first string and which is the second.
There is no delimiter set, and I only know that the max. string length is 30.

The problem seems to be a bug in ncgen. I have created the netCDF file
with ncgen from a CDL file. The CDL file contains the line
name = "string1", "string2";

Looking at the netCDF file with ncdump:

name = "string1string2", "";

I didn't realized this, so I thought it was an error in my program.

Tim