Max length on attributes in cdl files?

In an effort to maximize the readability of my cdl files, I entered
extensive multi-line comments in the :units attribute.  This worked fine on
a sun running SunOS, but not on HP-UX or SGI, which bumped up against a 200
character limit.

So my question is, what is the best way to include documention like the
following in a cdl file?

THIS FAILS ON SOME MACHINES:
byte correctedFlag(recNum);
 correctedFlag:long_name ="Corrected data indicator";
 correctedFlag:units = "
  r = raw data,
  l = data that has  undergone lat/lon correction
     (other than interpolation),
  T = data that has undergone temperature correction,
  f = longitude and wind direction flipped,
  t = obs time has been set to the report receipt time
";

William R. Moninger, Nat'l Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Forecast Systems Laboratory, R/E/FS1
325 Broadway;     Boulder, CO 80303; USA
moninger@xxxxxxxxxxxx; Voice: 303-497-6435;  Fax: 303-497-3329