Re: new netcdf library

> A prerelease of the C-language-only part of netCDF-3, called
> netcdf-3.1a, is now available for downloading from
>
>    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.1a.tar.Z

a conservative estimate of the speedup of the new library
(old time/new time) is 1.7, on an RS6000 model 340H, running AIX 4.1.
this is for large data transfers (~10**5 floats), within a real application.
(the uncertainty comes from estimating the percentage of the task doing I/O.)

good job!

no problems porting; i will test on other platforms when i can.