Re: netCDF under Windows

Harvey DAVIES <hld@xxxxxxxxxxxx> asked:

> Would you please clarify what C & Fortran compilers are supported
> under Windows/NT & Windows/95?  The main C compilers of interest are
> gcc, Microsoft, Borland.  The main Fortran compilers of interest are
> Lahey F77/F90, Microsoft.

We don't currently develop or support a Windows 1995 or a Windows NT
version of netCDF, but we do make available some user-contributed ports
of netCDF to these operating systems.

There is some confusion about the level of support for Windows ports of
netCDF, because in the netCDF FAQ at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html#platforms

we include Windows NT-3.51 among the list of platforms on which netCDF
has been built and tested.  Linux is another example of a platform that
we don't directly support, but for which users have reported success in
building and testing the current release.

To clarify things, I will separate the on-line list of platforms in the
FAQ document into two parts:

  1. platforms we directly support, and

  2. platforms on which the software has been built and successfully
     tested by someone else.

We'll try to continue to incorporate changes needed to make netCDF work
on platforms to which we have no access, but we may not be able to
retest a minor release on all such platforms.

For more information on contributed ports of netCDF to Windows, see the
answers to the two following questions in the netCDF FAQ:

   Is netCDF available for Windows 95?
   Is netCDF available for Windows NT?

We've just gotten a Windows NT 4.0 platform up and running here so we
may soon have a way to test future versions on Windows NT.

--Russ

russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu