Re: Old Problem - Sparse Data

I'd like to make an even further suggestion that you have a look at NASA's
EOSDIS (Earth Observing System Data and Information system) techniques for
handling spatial data within map projections known as HDF-EOS. This is
implemented as a predefined specialization of HDF that allows standardized
viewers to perform translations to/from lat-long and viewer i-j. A sample
viewer (EOSView) is distributed with the HDF-EOS package. Point a web
browser to: http://edhs1.gsfc.nasa.gov/ ; click on "quick search"; and
enter "HDF" for a list of documents, User's guide, storage concepts, etc.
Commercial packages are being written that incorporate this HDF-EOS
technique.

There is ongoing research into methods for handling sparce data sets for
Earth viewing and climatalogical data that can be applied to other
paradigms. These include spherical and non-sperical quadtrees, and
tessellated spheres.

                NASA/GSFC/ESDIS/Science Software Manager
Thomas E. Goff (Tom)        (301)614-5030         tom.goff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
       NASA/GSFC, code 505, Bldg. 32/E231H, Greenbelt, MD, USA 20771