Re: Timing 2.4 vs. 3.x

>    Has anybody timed NetCDF v2.x compared to NetCDF v3.x? For both
> read & write.  Is the difference large enough to justify
> recompiling?

On what platform?  We haven't done actual timings on them, but Sun
and SGI times don't seem to have changed for us (and were small to
begin with).  Cray vector times, however, are _way_ down -- by better
than a factor of 10.

Fwiw, we do air quality modeling, using Crays for modeling, and
SGIs and Suns for analysis and visualization.

                                                 xcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Carlie J. Coats, Jr.                                   coats@xxxxxxxx
MCNC Environmental Programs                      phone: (919)248-9241
North Carolina Supercomputing Center               fax: (919)248-9245
3021 Cornwallis Road                                  P. O. Box 12889
Research Triangle Park, N. C.  27709-2889                         USA
"My opinions are my own, and I've got *lots* of them!"