Re: coordinate systems in netcdf

Attached is a long attempt at defining coordinate systems in a
formalized way, along with proposals for (what else?) netcdf conventions
on coordinate variables, and generalized coordinate systems.

Im a bit rusty at this sort of thing, so Im hoping others might have a
look at it and give me some feedback.  Perhaps someone somewhere else
has made a formalized specification in a much more succinct way.  If so,
I'd appreciate a pointer to it.

Anyway, I'm muddling around trying to capture what a coordinate system
is in a precise way, trying to make it as general as possible.  I might
be wrong on some fundamental level, and i'd appreciate understanding
that if you can explain it.  Thanks!

(PS: im sending this as an attachment, email me privately if you have
trouble with it).