NetCDF 3.3 for GNU Win32 + other goodies

Folks,

  I have been able to port Netcdf-3.3 (C, C++ & FORTRAN, no perl)
and UDUNITS (C only, no FORTRAN or perl) to the GNU Win32 compiler.
See README file below.

  If you are not familiar with GNU Win32, this is the Cygnus port
of the GNU C/C++ compiler to Win32, meaning both win95 and winNT
operating systems. For more information, consult the GNU Win32 Project
page at

      http://www.cygnus.com/gnu-win32/

  This is an extremely useful compiler to port Unix based applications
to Windows 95/NT.  It is (almost) ANSI and POSIX compliant, so it
compiles Unix software almost out of the tarfile. With the utilities
shipped with the compiler (bash, awk, sed, cp, mv, tar, etc.) win95/NT
looks more like a (weird) flavor of Unix rather than MS-DOS. And there
is also a port of g77, the GNU Fortran. And the best: it is all free.

  I've been able to build X11R6.3, port GrADS and NCVIEW, and a port
of FERRET is in the works. Here are the tools that you will find on my
ftp server:

   ftp://niteroi.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/win32

Sub-directories:

   X11R6.3/         binary X11 libraries, clients and example code
                    (include all toolkits; lesstif, the GNU motif,
                     is in the works). You will need an X server, but
                    there you can download a free one which is
                    quite functional. See the README in this directory
                    for more information.

   unidata/netcdf   NetCDF 3.3 + UDUNITS

   unidata/xgks     Steve Emmerson's baby (C & Fortran)

   ncsa/            HDF4.1r1 (C only), including MFHDF, the NetCDF API

   ncview/          David Pierce's NetCDF browser

I really cannot support this software, but if you have questions you
may try to contact me at dasilva@xxxxxxxxxxxx. Beware that I may
not be able to answer your e-mail right away.

   Arlindo da Silva
   dasilva@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                  GNU Win32 NetCDF & UDUnits Libraries

                            Arlindo da Silva
                        Data Assimilation Office
                               NASA/GSFC

   This directory contains binary versions of Unidata's NetCDF and
UDUnits package compiled with Cygnus GNU Win32 C compiler (this is a
port of gcc to Windows 95/NT). Also under this directory binaries of the
utilities ncgen, ncdump and the unit converter "udunits".

   The NetCDF v3.3 libraries includes C, C++ and FORTRAN bindings
(but no Perl interface). The UDUNITS library has only the C
interface, no FORTRAN or Perl interface.

TOOLS USED:

      C : Cygnus GNU Win32 v Beta 18 (*)
FORTRAN : GNU Fortran 0.5.19.1 (*)
  NetCDF: v 3.3 sources available from Unidata
          (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu)

    (*) See http://www.cygnus.com/gnu-win32 for download sites.

AVAILABILITY:

  The pre-compiled NetCDF and UDUnits libraries can be obtained from:

  ftp://niteroi.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/win32/unidata/netcdf/nc-3.3-bin.tar.gz

  Sources are available from http://www.unidata.ucar.edu. See below
for my gnuwin32 patches.

DIRECTORY STRUCTURE:

     /usr/Local/win32/bin          ncdump, ncgen & udunits tools
     /usr/Local/win32/lib          libraries
     /usr/Local/win32/include      header files
     /usr/Local/win32/man          Unix manual pages
     /usr/Local/win32/WWW          NetCDF and UDUnits pages from
                                    Unidata. Use this to get to their
                                    WWW server, etc.

PATCHES FOR COMPILING NetCDF 3.3 under GNU Win32 Beta 18

Netcdf 3.3 almost built out of the tar file. Here are the small
changes I needed to make:

1) add the following to file src/fortran/cfortran.h

#ifdef __CYGWIN32__
#define f2cFortran
#endif

2) In src/ncgen/ncgentab.c (lex output?) comment the line:

/* #include <values.h> */

3) In src/make.rules add the suffix "exe" to the line below:

$(BINDIR)/$(PROGRAM):   $(BINDIR) $(PROGRAM)
        cp $(PROGRAM).exe $@.exe

These changes probably could be done within autoconf. Glenn?

As for UDUNITS, I built it from the sources I hacked for
MS-DOS (search Unidata archives or write to me).

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS:

Notice that I DO NOT provide support for this software, but if
you have questions you may try to contact me at:

     Arlindo da Silva
     Data Assimilation Office
     NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
     dasilva@xxxxxxxxxxxx