Re: Coordinate Systems Proposals

John,

In the above message, you wrote:

> In other words, in general we can't associate the coordinate functions
> with a dimension, but only with the variables. The dimensions are merely
> the domains of the coordinate functions; it is the values of the
> coordinate functions that are the coordinates, not the dimensional
> indices, thus the warning not to "confuse the role of data dimensions
> and coordinates".  For (1d) coordinate variables, the "confusion" is ok,
> even helpful, but it doesnt generalize.

You might find the following paper on the "field" data-model helpful:

    Haber, R., B. Lucas and N. Collins. "A Data Model for Scientific
    Visualization with Provisions for Regular and Irregular Grids",
    Proceedings IEEE Visualization '91, pp. 298-305, October 1991.

I'm investigating the feasibility of emulating this data model in
a netCDF context.

--------