Re: need help compiling netCDF 3.3.1 on Linux and NT4

Charlie,

> * Windows NT4 with gcc
> Here is the error I get when attempting to compile netCDF 3.3.1 on my
> NT4 system using the Cygnus gnuwin32 tools. The fortran code won't
> build because it can't find a fortran compiler (which is OK, since I
> don't have one for NT), but there are also problems building ncgen and
> ncdump, which shouldn't require any fortran. These problems seem to
> stem from the inability of the system to find a file called "values.h".
> I think this caused the build script to abort before building the C++
> * library.

> Making `all' in directory /netcdf-3.3.1/src/ncgen
>
> gcc -c -O -I../libsrc -I.  -DNDEBUG ncgentab.c
> ncgen.y:92: values.h: No such file or directory
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 33
> make: *** [ncgentab.o] Error 1
> make: *** [subdir_target] Error 1
> make: *** [ncgen/all] Error 2
>
> C:\netcdf-3.3.1\src>
>
> Note that all the rest of the C code built correctly and links fine.
> The C test programs worked fine. I just need to get the ncgen and
> ncdump operators and the C++ library working for now.

I was able to build netcdf 3.3 using version beta 18 of the Cygnus
gnu-win32, both C and fortran.  I ran into similar problems. Take a
look at my patches below, or just grab the pre-compiled libraries and
binaries.

  Good Luck,

        Arlindo.

                  GNU Win32 NetCDF & UDUnits Libraries

                            Arlindo da Silva
                        Data Assimilation Office
                               NASA/GSFC

   This directory contains binary versions of Unidata's NetCDF and
UDUnits package compiled with Cygnus GNU Win32 C compiler (this is a
port of gcc to Windows 95/NT). Also under this directory binaries of the
utilities ncgen, ncdump and the unit converter "udunits".

   The NetCDF v3.3 libraries includes C, C++ and FORTRAN bindings
(but no Perl interface). The UDUNITS library has only the C
interface, no FORTRAN or Perl interface.

TOOLS USED:

      C : Cygnus GNU Win32 v Beta 18 (*)
FORTRAN : GNU Fortran 0.5.19.1 (*)
  NetCDF: v 3.3 sources available from Unidata
          (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu)

    (*) See http://www.cygnus.com/gnu-win32 for download sites.

AVAILABILITY:

  The pre-compiled NetCDF and UDUnits libraries can be obtained from:

  ftp://niteroi.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/win32/unidata/netcdf/nc-3.3-bin.tar.gz

  Sources are available from http://www.unidata.ucar.edu. See below
for my gnuwin32 patches.

DIRECTORY STRUCTURE:

     /usr/Local/win32/bin          ncdump, ncgen & udunits tools
     /usr/Local/win32/lib          libraries
     /usr/Local/win32/include      header files
     /usr/Local/win32/man          Unix manual pages
     /usr/Local/win32/WWW          NetCDF and UDUnits pages from
                                    Unidata. Use this to get to their
                                    WWW server, etc.

PATCHES FOR COMPILING NetCDF 3.3 under GNU Win32 Beta 18

Netcdf 3.3 almost built out of the tar file. Here are the small
changes I needed to make:

1) add the following to file src/fortran/cfortran.h

#ifdef __CYGWIN32__
#define f2cFortran
#endif

2) In src/ncgen/ncgentab.c (lex output?) comment the line:

/* #include <values.h> */

3) In src/make.rules add the suffix "exe" to the line below:

$(BINDIR)/$(PROGRAM):   $(BINDIR) $(PROGRAM)
        cp $(PROGRAM).exe $@.exe

These changes probably could be done within autoconf.

As for UDUNITS, I built it from the sources I hacked for
MS-DOS (search Unidata archives or write to me).

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS:

Notice that I DO NOT provide support for this software, but if
you have questions you may try to contact me at:

     Arlindo da Silva
     Data Assimilation Office
     NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
     dasilva@xxxxxxxxxxxx

   |             ^|^                ARLINDO MORAES DA SILVA, JR.          |
   |              |                 Data Assimilation Office, Code 910.3  |
   |             _|_                NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center      |
   |      @  ___|___|__             Greenbelt, MD 20771                   |
   |    \  o o o o o o o  /         Office: (301) 805-7959                |
   |     \_______________/             FAX: (301) 805-7960                |
   | E-mail: dasilva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    Home: (301) 754-1121                |