Underflow problem on NEC SX-4 in Cray-compatible mode

The problem occurs in Cray (float2) mode when calling a netCDF put routine.
On the NEC SX, netCDF converts from Cray to IEEE floating point by calling the
NEC function fl2_ie3 from various places in src/libsrc/ncx.c.  Underflow is
possible because the Cray format has more exponent bits. Each underflow
generates the (normally) desired value of 0, but does not increment the
function result, which is a count of correct conversions.  E.g. 3 underflows
in a vector of 8 elements would give a result of 5.  NetCDF detects the fact
that this result is less than expected & generates error -60.  There appears
to be no way of modifying the behaviour of fl2_ie3 to count underflows as
normal conversions.

One solution would be to count the values small enough in magnitude to
underflow before calling fl2_ie3.  However, I suspect this would be too costly
in time to be worthwhile.  So (unless I am being too pessimistic here and
Glenn Davis implements some such solution in ncx.c) the user should anticipate
the possibility of error -60 occuring in put routines.

Harvey Davies, CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences,
Email: harvey.davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: +61 3 9669 8110 or +61 3 9239 4556
  Fax: +61 3 9669 8112