Re: request: plotting utility

  • To: Fred Knight <knight@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: request: plotting utility
  • From: jps@xxxxxxxx (John Sheldon)
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:32:32 GMT
Hi Fred-

"Freud" is a really nice plotting utility that creates plots nearly as
polished as NCAR graphics. It has a nice GUI and can handle more types of
netCDF files than GrADS, which is inherently limited to data sets with
only one grid (ie, no B-grids, C-grids, etc.).  Freud hasn't evolved any
since its funding was cut off a while back (a real shame), but it's still
one of the best tools around (IMHO :-). See:

     http://tao.atmos.washington.edu/freud/

We have a bunch of other info on dealing with netCDF in our "Scientific
Visualization Guide":

     http://www.gfdl.gov/~jps/GFDL_Vis_Guide.html

It needs some updating (even more than usual), but you might find some
useful stuff there.

Happy browsing-
John P. Sheldon

(jps@xxxxxxxx)
Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory/NOAA
Princeton University/Forrestal Campus/Rte. 1
P.O. Box 308
Princeton, NJ, USA  08542
http://www.gfdl.gov