thanks and comment

Thank you to all (11 people) who responded to my inquiry about netCDF
utilities to view files and plot one variable wrt another.  I will be
surveying the options, which appear to range from sets of single
commands invoked from the shell, to hooks into existing systems (like
xmgr, Matlab, and IDL), to standalone interactive packages.

My one comment is that I still have to actually try these packages,
i.e., grab the software and install it to really see what it does.  The
comprehensive list at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html is certainly
useful for browsing to see options, but the writeups are not
standardized to elucidate comparison.  What might be an aid is to have a
set of characteristics to describe each package's utility.  I suggest
the following as a start.

OS
window system
interface: command line, added to existing program, or standalone
viewing options: text, windows
plotting capability: single variables, one variable vs. another,
hyperslabs
examples of interface to see actual invocation and syntax

Certainly, these are subjective (my choices), but, given the wide
variety of packages, some further listing of characteristics could
narrow a novice's selection.
This might be an improvement on an already well-documented system, and I
DO appreciate Russ Rew's and UCAR's continued support and attention to
the listing of available programs.

Again, thanks for the help.

Fred
--
Fred Knight | knight@xxxxxxxxxx | 781 981 1053 | fax: 781 981 5359
C-490 | MIT Lincoln Laboratory | 244 Wood Street | Lexington, MA  02173