Re: Compressed netCDF library available

Hi Bill:

I havent tried using this, but it looks really cool!

My only comment is that when i was thinking about this same problem a few years
back, I  realized that that amount of compression you can get it very data type
dependent. In particular, if you require your data be stored as floating point,
many datasets wont compress at all, because the low order bits of the mantissa
are essentially random.  Unless there is some repeating pattern like a constant
field or missing data. (I was working with gridded model output)

It might be worth collecting compression ratios from your library on various
data files and types, so that people get a sense of what to expect for the
different cases.

Regards,
John Caron