Compressed NetCDF & HDF

A major conceptual difference between these two approaches is that
znetcdf defines a new filetype, whereas HDF files containing compressed
objects are still defined as HDF.

A "compressed variable" approach could be applied to NetCDF, thus avoiding
a new *DF type.  Perhaps the relevant compression parameters could be stored
as attributes, such as 'compressed = "true";' and 'compression_factor = 5;'.
Global atts could hold default parameters, while variable atts would hold
settings for individual variables.

Just a thought,
Bill Weibel  (Not the original Bill)

P.S.  At least twice now, I've seen the NetCDF magic string referred to as
"CDF1"*, yet in the actual files, the value is "CDF\001".
Does anyone know how this inconsistency got going?

*"Graphics File Formats" by Brown and Sheperd, p 400.

--
   William Weibel                      weibel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 ||||DISCLAIMER:  Neither JPL nor I speak for each other. |  |  | | | | | ||||

---End of forwarded mail from Majordomo-Owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--