Linux

Hi-
I want to install netcdf with the Fortran bindings.  I have gcc and g77.
After ./configure and make it gives me errors:
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/wessel/netcdf-3.4/src/fortran'
cc -c -O -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG fort-attio.c
In file included from ncfortran.h:13,
                 from fort-attio.c:6:
cfortran.h:151: #error "cfortran.h:  Can't find your environment among:    -
MIPS cc and f77 2.0. (e.g. Silicon Graphics, DECstations, ...)         - IBM
AIX XL C and FORTRAN Compiler/6000 Version 01.01.0000.0000         - VAX   VMS
CC 3.1 and FORTRAN 5.4.                                      - Alpha VMS DEC C
1.3 and DEC FORTRAN 6.0.                               - Alpha OSF DEC C and
DEC Fortran for OSF/1 AXP Version 1.2              - Apollo DomainOS 10.2
(sys5.3) with f77 10.7 and cc 6.7.                - CRAY
                                           - NEC SX-4 SUPER-UX
                                    - CONVEX
                             - Sun
                      - PowerStation Fortran with Visual C++
               - HP9000s300/s700/s800 Latest test with: HP-UX A.08.07 A
9000/730        - LynxOS: cc or gcc with f2c.           !
!

 - VAXUltrix: vcc,cc or gcc with f2c. gcc or cc with f77.                 -
       f77 with vcc works; but missing link magic for f77 I/O.     -
NO fort. None of gcc, cc or vcc generate required names.    - f2c    : Use
#define    f2cFortran, or cc -Df2cFortran                 - NAG f90: Use
#define NAGf90Fortran, or cc -DNAGf90Fortran              - Absoft UNIX F77:
Use #define AbsoftUNIXFortran or cc -DAbsoftUNIXFortran"
make[2]: *** [fort-attio.o] Error 1

None of those environments listed seems to apply to GNU/Linux.  I compile
netcdf fine by setting FC=<blank> but I would like to know why it croaks.
Many GMT users get frightened by this error and cannot get any further...

Paul Wessel

Pål (Paul) Wessel, Visiting Professor
Institute for Geology
University of Oslo
P.O. Box 1047 Blindern, N-0316 Oslo, Norway
+47 22 85 73 26 (voice).
+47 22 85 42 15 (fax).
wessel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/wessel/wessel.html]