access under f90

Hello,
this might be a stupid or inappropriate question - however:
I wonder whether I could speed up netcdf I/O on a Cray J90
and I'm thinking about buffers and their sizes, etc.
I don't have experience with this stuff, so the first thing
I wondered about is:
in f90 language, is netcdf doing direct or sequential access -
i.e. what should the buffering favor? I think it must be
direct. But just to be sure...
In general, I'm reading and writing record orientated, i.e.
all/some fields for each time and the for the next time...
Thanks for your time and thoughts!
Ciao!
Joerg

--
Jörg Kaduk                              Tel.: 1 650 325 1521 x 416
Carnegie Institution of Washington      FAX: 1 650 325 6857