Re: Performance problem with large files

Konrad,

In the above message, you wrote:

> My problem is that this is not only extremely slow (slower by a factor
> 2000 than doing the same on a file of a hundredth the size), but
> periodically blocks my computer in that all programs wanting to do
> some disk access have to wait for about five seconds until some
> operation is finished. And my office neighbour is complaining about
> the never-ending noise from the disk.

I suspect (but do not know) that this problem is related to the way that
Linux manages memory rather than to the netCDF library.  We've seen
other strange behaviors from Linux when using large files.

You might see what increasing the swap size does.

--------