netCDF vs HDF

I'm considering HDF and netCDF for storing data captured
from an Electronic Warfare simulation running on Sun/Solaris.

The files will be used to analyze various aspects of the
performance of the simulator in R and possibly MatLab.

I would like to be able to transfer the files to other platforms,
such as WinNT, for processing by other data analysis software.

Please, I don't want to start a flame war, but I would
like some honest opinions about advantages and disadvantages
of using netCDF vs HDF.

If you send your comments directly to me, I will be happy
to summarize to the list.

--
Terry J. Westley, Software Systems Engineering Supervisor
Veridian Engineering, Calspan Operations