Re: netCDF vs HDF

At 09:04 AM 9/2/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm considering HDF and netCDF for storing data captured
>from an Electronic Warfare simulation running on Sun/Solaris.
>
>The files will be used to analyze various aspects of the
>performance of the simulator in R and possibly MatLab.
>
>I would like to be able to transfer the files to other platforms,
>such as WinNT, for processing by other data analysis software.
>
>Please, I don't want to start a flame war, but I would
>like some honest opinions about advantages and disadvantages
>of using netCDF vs HDF.
>
>If you send your comments directly to me, I will be happy
>to summarize to the list.
>
>--
>Terry J. Westley, Software Systems Engineering Supervisor
>Veridian Engineering, Calspan Operations
>P.O. Box 400, Buffalo, NY 14225
>twestley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    http://www.veridian.com

Terry:

I've just started using netCDF in our simulation at work. I've looked at
HDF, but it seems to be more than we need. Our output data is just scalars,
vectors and matrices. We don't have any image data. My impression of HDF
seems directed toward image type data. This is just a newbie's impressions,
so please don't criticize my lack of knowledge here.

I was able to implement the netCDF functions fairly easily, although I did
get hung up on NF_PUT_VARM_xxx. I wish the documentation had some
non-trivial examples of source code.

What I really like is that many tools can read netCDF files. For example,
the Unix 2D graphic tool xmgrace can read the data files. Also, I can
binary FTP the output files from our Unix-based simulation and read them
with the Matlab netCDF toolbox functions on my WinNT box. Very convenient.
There's no need for file conversions. Our simulation previously could only
write a custom binary format. The format was poorly documented and was a
continual source of problems. I can foresee netCDF eliminating much of
these problems.

My two cents.

Scott

J. Scott Pendergrass