Re: XML?

Hi Lorenzo,

> we are considering implementing an XML interface to NetCDF data.
> Is anybody aware of others' efforts in this directions?
>
> It could be interesting to reach a common definition of a NetCDF-DTD...

Yes, Bear Giles has developed "ncxdump", a program that dumps a netCDF
data file in XML form, and a preliminary version of "ncxgen", a
program that transforms the XML form back into a netCDF file.  These
are analogous to the netCDF utilities "ncdump" and "ncgen", except
they use XML instead of CDL as the alternate representation.  A
proposed DTD is included in Giles' software, described further at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/3710

The ncxdump/ncxgen software is available for testing in source form from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/xml-tools.tar.gz

The proposed DTD is available from

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/dtd/giles-dtd

but if you try to view this with Netscape, it seems to try to
interpret it as DTD, so you may have to save it as a file locally
(Shift+Click) to look at it.

--Russ

russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu