Re: netCDF and Borland Delphi

Greetings:  I just saw a message about the netCDF interface to Delphi, so I
thought I'd send one about my netCDF interface.

I have been working on a netCDF interface to perl for the last 3 years or so.
It is more useful than the 'official' perl netCDF interface and much higher
level (I used the unidata perl interface for quite a while).  It uses the PDL
'perl data language' perl extension, which allows perl to manipulate large,
compact N-dimensional matrices quickly.  One can think of it as MATLAB for
perl.  Info on PDL at:

http://pdl.perl.org/

Since PDL has data types for compact matrices already, it is therefore natural
to read netCDF objects into these PDL objects instead of perl lists (*much*
quicker too).

I have been using PDL::NetCDF (as the package is called) for the last few years
with great success.

In perl, one can create and write netCDF files as easily as this:

use PDL;
use PDL::NetCDF;

my $nc  = PDL::NetCDF->new (">test.nc");
my $pdl = ones (5,5);  # five by five matrix of ones
$nc->put ('var1', ['dim1', 'dim2'], $pdl);
$nc->close;

The PDL::NetCDF package is available on CPAN (the Comprehensive Perl
Archive Network) at:

http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/Douglas_Hunt/PDL-NetCDF-0.76.tar.gz

Please add this to your list of netCDF applications.

Regards,

  Doug Hunt

--
dhunt@xxxxxxxx